Site is off line so many bots, exceeded account executions

2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #9913 by wrangler
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hello,
My site:
lonepinefilmhistorymuseum.org/
I have added your component to my website trying to prevent bots from crawling the site at a very high rate.
I have enabled the plug-in and registered and added the keys to the reccomended anti-spam services included with your plugin. (Re-captcha, Mollum(?), project honey pot etc.)
All features of your plugin have been activated.

Still, my site is overrun with spam. I can see it in the raw logs, that I attached.

Activity like this:
141.8.143.150 - - [09/Aug/2015:07:22:06 -0500] "GET /index.php/events/celebrity-star-2/15-imagerotator/250-anchor-ranch-walking-tour-1 HTTP/1.0" 200 59190 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; YandexBot/3.0; +http://yandex.com/bots)"

and

151.80.31.139 - - [09/Aug/2015:07:20:23 -0500] "GET /index.php/visitors-center-1/visitors-center-5/15-imagerotator/472-rawhide-movie-tour HTTP/1.0" 200 58119 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; AhrefsBot/5.0; +http://ahrefs.com/robot/)"

My webhost is SiteGround, which I've never had isssue with before. They have been no help to me. I tried using teh ip deny manager tool but there is way to many. They recommended some code that I added to the .htaccess file but it is not preventing any bots. The htaccess file is also attached.

Please advise. I'm using most up to date joomla, K2 extension, Mijoshop, Rockettheme template and display modules.
My site is now off line because I exceeded account executions.

Thanks for assistance.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

2 years 5 months ago #9914 by Vitja
Hello Wrangler,

thank you for activating a support subscription.

ECC+ does not stop bots from requesting your website, it stops bots from sending data through forms on your website.

At the moment the website is online again. Could you solve the problem with the help of your hosting company?

Btw, is the attached .htaccess still activated on your website? Because I wanted to verify it and the loading of a blocked User Agent (I faked it with an add-on) was not blocked... In general, the blocking with the .htaccess file can help you but the maintenance is high because you have to keep the list of User Agents and IP addresses up-to-date.

If you get too many requests from bots (good and bad bots), it can make sense to activate a proxy. I would recommend Cloudflare: www.cloudflare.com/

Greetings

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions

Please support my work with a review in the Joomla! Extensions Directory: extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/61997
2 years 5 months ago #9915 by wrangler
Yes the site is back online again. My quota resets every month, so now I have some time.

I do have a Cloudfare account and will try to reactivate it.

The method of blocking through the htaccess file was recommended by the web host. And that file is still active. Do you know why it is not working?
It seems many of the bots listed as User agents are still able to access.

Also I have sh404 installed which offers protection through project honeypot. Should I activate that as well.

Are there any other steps that I can take to help?
2 years 5 months ago #9916 by Vitja
So, the traffic quota in your contract is limited? Why did you select such a contract? For instance, I have thousands of such requests daily and it is not a problem at all because I have unlimited traffic in my contract. In this case maybe another package or even hosting company would solve the problem easily for you?

Regarding the .htaccess file: You should contact the support team of SiteGround and ask them to check the file for validity and correct the entries if required. I don't have a contract there, so I can not test it for you. I've checked again with some of the User Agents that should be blocked and still could load the website properly.

The Project Honey Pot is already included in ECC+ but it will not stop bots from visiting your website.

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions

Please support my work with a review in the Joomla! Extensions Directory: extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/61997
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds